Shirley Strum Kenny
Shirley Strum Kenny
|Interim President of Augusta State University|
July 1, 2012 – December 31, 2012
|Preceded by||William A. Bloodworth|
|Succeeded by||Position abolished|
|4th President of Stony Brook University|
July 1, 1994 – July 1, 2009
|Preceded by||John Marburger|
|Succeeded by||Samuel L. Stanley|
|7th President of Queens College|
July 1, 1985 – July 1, 1994
|Preceded by||Saul B. Cohen|
|Succeeded by||Allen Lee Sessoms|
|Born||August 28, 1934|
Tyler, Texas United States
|Education||University of Texas at Dallas |
University of Minnesota
University of Chicago
|Thesis||An edition of Sir Richard Steele's The funeral and the tender husband (1964)|
|Sub-discipline||Restoration and eighteenth-century British drama|
Shirley Strum Kenny (born 1934) is an English scholar and retired university president. Kenny was the fourth president of Stony Brook University from 1994 until the end of the 2008-2009 academic year. She was the first woman to hold that position. She had served as the president of Queens College from 1985 to 1994. In 2012, Kenny served as the interim president of Augusta State University upon the retirement of its long time president William A. Bloodworth from July 1 until the position was eliminated on December 31, 2012 as a result of Augusta State University's merger with Georgia Health Sciences University on August 10 of the same year.
Life and achievements
Kenny grew up in Tyler, Texas. She holds a bachelor's degree in English and journalism from the University of Texas-Dallas, an M.A. from the University of Minnesota, a Ph.D. from the University of Chicago, and honorary doctorates from the University of Rochester, and Chonnam National, Dongguk, and Ajou Universities in South Korea. She has taught at the University of Texas, Gallaudet University, The Catholic University of America, the University of Delaware and the University of Maryland. At Maryland, she was successively chair of the Department of English and provost of the College of Arts and Humanities.
Kenny has published five books and numerous articles in the field of Restoration and eighteenth-century British drama. Her two-volume scholarly edition of the dramatic works of George Farquhar was published by Oxford University Press.
- Thomas, Chris (April 18, 2012). "The Inside Story: ASU names new interim president". WRDW-TV.
- Crawford, Steve (March 17, 2013). "Former Augusta State president tells new university chief fences need mending". Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
- Diamond, Laura (August 10, 2012). "Georgia regents OK college mergers". Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
- Winegarten, Ruthe, and Cathy Schechter. Deep in the Heart: The Lives & Legends of Texas Jews. Austin TX: Eakin Press, 1990.
- Kenny, Shirley Strum (1964). An edition of Sir Richard Steele's "The Funeral" and "The Tender Husband" (Ph.D.). The University of Chicago. OCLC 6229152 – via ProQuest.