This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)
|Location||Asbury Park, NJ|
|Theme||Indoor amusement park|
|Owner||Ernest Schnitzler (1888–1920)|
August Williams (1920–1939)
Edward Lange & Zimel Resnick (1939–1986)
Sam & Henry Vaccaro (1986–1988)
|Opened||August 17, 1888|
|Closed||November 27, 1988|
|Previous names||Palace Merry-Go-Round|
|Area||0.9 acres (0.36 ha)|
|Location||Asbury Park, New Jersey|
|Built by||Ernest Schnitzler|
William B. Stout
|Architectural style||Late Victorian|
|Demolished||May 26, 2004|
|NRHP reference No.||00001406|
|Added to NRHP||November 22, 2000|
|Designated NJRHP||October 12, 2000|
Palace Amusements was a historical indoor amusement park in Asbury Park, New Jersey. The park was built in 1888 and expanded several times over its history, but after a worsening economic situation in both Asbury and the country in the mid-1980s, the park went out of business in 1988.
Several efforts were made to save the structure, including its hand-carved carousel, murals and decorations, but in 2004, after an independent structural inspection, the building was deemed unsafe (and already damaged in several areas) and was ordered demolished. A local grassroots organization was able to save several pieces from the building, including the famed Tillie mural.
- "National Register of Historic Places Registration Form" (PDF). National Park Service. Department of the Interior. Retrieved 23 July 2015.
- "Palace Amusements Building (ID#3705)" (PDF). New Jersey and National Registers of Historic Places - Monmouth County. NJ DEP Historic Preservation Office. p. 2. Archived from the original (PDF) on 6 February 2015. Retrieved 23 July 2015.
- "'Springsteen' Park Said Historic". Associated Press. October 19, 2000. Retrieved 2021-02-26.
- Jordan, Chris. "Palace Amusements and Tillie rise from the grave". Asbury Park Press. Retrieved 2021-02-26.
Media related to Palace Amusements at Wikimedia Commons